Next month Connor will move up into the big boy room at school. They are preparing him for the move as of last week. As part of the adjustment Connor has to learn new tricks, for example, he has to lear to drink out of an open cup! No sippy cups in this class, is it just me or is that really sad? In this class they start working on the ABC's and 123's, we have been working on the ABC's at home- any idea out there on how to improve this process? (it isn't going so smooth for me-I'm not sure that I'm going about it the right way) I was thinking about buying a sesame street DVD that has the ABC's on it and getting some flash cards. So far all I have been doing is the song and saying things like the A says... the B says... etc.
Connor has been picking up on a lot of new vocabulary words- the other-day he specifically asked for a "ookie" - cookie. This morning while watching Dora they said "can you say BACKPACK" Connor replied with "ack-pack". He has become much more vocal lately. I know that now is the time to take advantage of his want to learn. Going to school to be a school teacher you would think that I would know what to do- not so much!
So I am asking all of the moms out there....
what did you do? How did it work? What would you do different?
Thanks in advance!
anything you can put to music is GREAT! learning things to music actually connects things in your brain that wouldn't connect otherwise...interesting little tidbit there... :) Try to focus on one letter at a time - like the letter of the week - that's what they do in kindergarten, and it works pretty well!
ReplyDeleteThe letter of the week! Why didn't I think of that! LOL I guess over my 18 hr semester my brain was fried....
ReplyDeleteI knew that- I just didn't do it!
LOL
Thanks Shara!
Also- remember that he is still a teeny, tiny boy even though he is moving to the Big Boy Class- lots of kids know only a few letters/sounds by kindergarten. What did we do that worked? A great introduction that gets stuck in your head is "The Letter Factory" DVD by LeapFrog. You can usually get it at Walmart or Target. The song gets stuck in everyone's head.
ReplyDeleteAlso, try lots of alphabet books (Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, Dr. Suess's ABC, there are literally THOUSANDS out there). And sing, sing, sing!!